Provita Protect POM VPS for Calf Scour
Provita Protect is the only veterinary probiotic to be authorised and licensed by the VMD. Amongst the key findings were the following:
• Less incidence of scours in calves treated with Provita Protect
• Less incidence of respiratory disease in calves treated with Provita Protect
• Provita Protect was at least as effective as antibiotics in scouring calves (together with electrolytes)
• Calves were heavier at weaning once they had received Provita Protect
• Over 400 calves were used in various field trials and the aggregate weights of Provita treated calves showed an almost 10% liveweight gain increase over untreated controls• Fed prophylactically from birth to young calves, scour incidence was less in the Provita Protect treated calves and this was statistically significant.
• At 14 days post treatment in newborn calves, scour incidence was 3% in Provita treated calves and 12.5% in untreated control calves.
• The trial showed that calves treated with Provita on arrival performed better and were healthier than control calves. Incidence of scour was significantly lower in treated calves at 14 days (P <0.05).A total of 149 calves were used in this trial.
• 52.5% of control calves remained healthy throughout the trial compared with 89% of the Provita Protect treated calves
• Control calves showed an average of 17.88 kg growth over the five week rearing period, whereas Provita treated calves gained 19.67kg and had less disease, incurring less cost on treatments and antibiotics
• Laboratory tests and analysis showed Provita Protect to retain adequate counts of live viable organisms for at least five months. If containers are sealed and kept at 2-8C, the shelf life has been shown to be 18 months
• A significant decrease in pneumonia was evidenced also in Provita treated calves. 17% of control calves were treated for respiratory disease compared to 5% for the Provita treated calves
• Incidence of scour plus respiratory disease was 49% in control untreated calves and 11-20% in Provita Protect treated calves