Dog owners warned over danger of jellyfish stings

Dog owners warned over danger of jellyfish stings

Dog owners have been warned after a number of pet became “violently ill” after licking licking jellyfish on beaches.

Vets Now reported several cases of jellyfish stings across the UK, with one Labrador in Fife becoming particularly sick after a beach walk.

In Troon, Ayrshire. a young Spaniel was also left in pain after licking a jellyfish that had been washed up.

One pet owner from Sunderland warned others about the dangers of jellyfish after her two puppies became sick.

Writing on Facebook, they said: “Immediately after both dogs were projectile vomiting and couldn’t breath and constantly licking ground or air.

‘Sick everywhere’

“The drive to the vets was horrific. Both dogs were sick everywhere about 10 times each. They are now on oxygen and having medication.

“Please be careful there were plenty dogs down the beach and I dread the thought of this happening to any other dog.”

Jellyfish can be seen throughout the year but are particularly common in the autumn time.

Laura Playforth, Vets Now’s professional standards director, said: “It’s no secret that dogs like to explore, however, it’s important to keep a close eye on them if there’s likely to be jellyfish. Often lurking in shallow water or washed up on the beach, they can cause a very nasty sting.

“If your dog is stung by a jellyfish, pull the remaining tentacles off with a stick or towel but never rub them and be careful not to touch them with your hands.

“Never rub the injured area on your dog with sand and always clean it with sea water rather than fresh water.

“If you suspect your dog has been stung you should contact your vet or, out of hours, or 24/7 hospital straight away.”