Irish vet struck off in Australia after giving friends Ketamine
An Irish vet has been struck off after injecting herself and her friends with the horse tranquilliser Ketamine.
Catherine McGuigan was fined $1000 and struck off the Register of Veterinary Surgeons in Western Australia after being found guilty of unprofessional conduct.
The State Administrative Tribunal also ordered her to pa: $3,000 in costs
The SAT heard the vet injected herself and two friends with ketamine during what the Australian.com reported to be a “boozy, drug-fuelled” weekend.
Th vet and tow pals stayed in an apartment in Wannaup in October 2020. They “were drinking and consuming cocaine” when she took a 100ml bottle of ketamine from her vehicle.
McGuigan reportedly asked her female friend how much she weighed so she “could check on the internet the correct dose of ketamine to administer”.
“When acting in the lawful practice of her profession as a veterinary surgeon, the respondent was authorised to possess ketamine but was not authorised to administer or use ketamine on humans,” the SAT said.
It was also told that McGuigan had provided a friend with a strong muscle relaxer, Diazepam, about one month later to “help her sleep”.
The SAT also heard that McGuigan had administered Airway Gel to herself last year, which is another broncho-dilating agent for horses.
Ms McGuigan worked at Murray Veterinary Services in Coolup for many years, with photos of the vet posted to the clinic’s Facebook page.
In a post on Facebook in August 2013, Murray Veterinary Services said:
“Murray Vets would like to introduce all our clients to our new equine veterinarian Catherine McGuigan.”
“Catherine is an enthusiastic veterinarian from Ireland who has recently joined the MVS team.”
“Having worked in the horse industry in Ireland, the United Kingdom and Australia, Catherine brings a valuable range of knowledge and experience to the practice.”
“We look forward to you all meeting Catherine and enjoying some of her good Irish humour.”
The tribunal found Ms McGuigan’s actions ‘would reasonably be regarded as disgraceful or dishonourable by registered veterinary surgeons of good repute and competency’.
It was noted the vet, who became a member of the equine chapter of the Australian and New Zealand college of Veterinary Scientists in 2018, admitted she was at fault and was remorseful and has accepted responsibility for her actions.